Flight Physics

Go down

Flight Physics

Post by Mortimer on Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:31 am

Hey there,
I am just wondering about how realistic you're going to design flying with a spaceship.
I already figured out that the ship's flying controls will be something like "a for swinging left, d for swinging right, w for swinging up.." and so on, right?
But there are some more questions:
You will be able to turn your ship upside down and, for example, see a planet on top of your ship or at the bottom, I suppose?
Will you have to take care of gravity of giant objects such like planets/stars when flying or won't they affect the ship's flying direction/speed?
For example: Will you fly in an orbit around the planet or will you just float over one point of the planet's surface the whole time (until moving yourself)?

I'm sorry if some/all of these questions are already answered anywhere else, I took a look at the forum and didn't see anything.

Greetings,
Mortimer Wink

Mortimer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flight Physics

Post by Bayliun on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:12 am

the flight controls themselves will be relatively simple, we don't want space combat to be something frustrating and we want all gamers no matter what games they usually play to be comfortable and be able to enjoy it without it annoying them. As far as i am aware in it is current stage A and D will roll you left and right and the W and S controls the throttle, the mouse controls the direction in which you want to turn the ship. The flight programmer matt has some experience in real aircraft's so he has alot of knowledge to draw on as we want our ships to behave in a similar way, especially when you are in atmosphere.

You do have an option however to disable your stabilisers during flight, this will cause the ship to go into a newtonian like physics state where in space you will continue to travel in the same direction no matter which way your ship is facing. If you accelerate you will head forward even if you swing your ship in a 180 degrees you will be facing backwards but still travelling in the same direction that you have initially accelerated !

Hoped that helped somewhat
Bayliun

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortimer on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:43 am

Yeah, that's exactly was my question was about, and it sounds very nice.
I like the option to enable/ disable the newtonian like physics.
Thanks for answering. Smile

Mortimer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down