Wayfarer: The Outer Reaches
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favorite Space Game of all time?

+10
Gethory
thepronto
Vaurek
bbq1040
Combine
Lilist
White Owl
Marko en Meeres
Airsofter
Ubercraig
14 posters

Go down

Favorite Space Game of all time? Empty Favorite Space Game of all time?

Post by Ubercraig Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:17 am

Myself, it's got to be Star Wars Galaxies. That game had soo much potential! The space in that game really inspired us when designing Wayfarer. I loved how you could practically live on board your ship, defend it with your buddies, shoot kickass turrets. It's our job to do those mechanics justice!
Ubercraig
Ubercraig

Back to top Go down

Favorite Space Game of all time? Empty Re: Favorite Space Game of all time?

Post by Airsofter Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:02 am

the x series has been my favorite so far, though I do like Evochron Mercenary, simply for the fact that you can "land" on the planets.

Wayfarer looks so good, i think it might take the number one spot though. :-)

Airsofter

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko en Meeres Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:15 am

kerbal space program, definitely. i don't know, something about having a whole solar system open to you to do *whatever you want* in is incredibly attractive to me. once they add resources and career mode i might end up wasting even more time on it.
Marko en Meeres
Marko en Meeres

http://jattehomo.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by White Owl Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:05 pm

First response is Kerbal Space Program.

Second response... my favorite space game has yet to be created. I want to play the captain/pilot of a small ship, with total freedom to go anywhere in a vast galaxy of stars, planets, moons, etc. I want to move around inside my ship. I want to fly my ship with a joystick, first-person view inside the cockpit with TrackIR, and use functional gauges/instruments inside the cockpit. I want to manage all the various subsystems; keeping track of fuel and other resources, making repairs and upgrades. I want to explore and prospect for treasure. I want to use that treasure to improve my ship. I want to get into fights. I want danger and difficulty; I'm a big boy, don't hold my hand.

I don't want to manage a fleet of ships. I don't want an empire. Crafting is good but I don't want to keep track of an entire manufacturing industry scattered over multiple stations.

I want to be Han Solo and Malcolm Reynolds. I don't want to be a mere fighter jock, head of state, fleet admiral, or big business CEO. Give me that Solo/Mal experience, and that will be my favorite space game ever.

But for now... yeah, Kerbal Space Program is pretty good. LOL
White Owl
White Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilist Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:34 am

Ah wow, star wars galaxies was great! I only played in the last couple of years it was around but I agree space was really cool. I loved having a full group of people in my rebel gunship all sitting in the lounge I'd furnished. It really had so many things going for it. I'm dissapointed that SW:TOR kind of forced it to shut down, especially as that game is a bit rubbish and has terrible space modes

Knowing that you guys are taking inspiration for SWG's space makes me even more happy with this game Very Happy
Lilist
Lilist

Back to top Go down

Post by Airsofter Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:16 am

KSP. how could I forget it? shame on me.

Airsofter

Back to top Go down

Post by Combine Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:04 am

KSP...one day i wont crash when attempting to leave

Combine

Back to top Go down

Post by bbq1040 Thu May 09, 2013 4:06 pm

Mass Effect. But the whole series in general was very good. It wasn't perfect but it's my favorite.

bbq1040

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaurek Fri May 10, 2013 2:27 am

Well I immediately go for Homeworld.

I adore that series iv'e always loved strategy and space and so mixing those up together within a fairly small but still epic fleet builder where you have to beat the other enemy fleet that's also building up and competing for resources with you is just great.

In terms of a space game that is similar to the premise of Wayfarer... probably EVE just because of the sheer number of thing's I can do in that universe and who know's where CCP will take that game in the years to come.

Vaurek

Back to top Go down

Favorite Space Game of all time? Empty Good News From The Edge of the Verse

Post by thepronto Sat May 11, 2013 8:39 am

[quote="White Owl"]First response is Kerbal Space Program.

Second response... my favorite space game has yet to be created. I want to play the captain/pilot of a small ship, with total freedom to go anywhere in a vast galaxy of stars, planets, moons, etc. I want to move around inside my ship. I want to fly my ship with a joystick, first-person view inside the cockpit with TrackIR, and use functional gauges/instruments inside the cockpit. I want to manage all the various subsystems; keeping track of fuel and other resources, making repairs and upgrades. I want to explore and prospect for treasure. I want to use that treasure to improve my ship. I want to get into fights. I want danger and difficulty; I'm a big boy, don't hold my hand.

I don't want to manage a fleet of ships. I don't want an empire. Crafting is good but I don't want to keep track of an entire manufacturing industry scattered over multiple stations.

I want to be Han Solo and Malcolm Reynolds. I don't want to be a mere fighter jock, head of state, fleet admiral, or big business CEO. Give me that Solo/Mal experience, and that will be my favorite space game ever.

But for now... yeah, Kerbal Space Program is pretty good. LOL[/quote

I am an old Wing Commander/Privateer & Freelancer fan and those were my favorites but never enough of what I needed/wanted...But Chris Roberts who made all 3 of these games or at least most of the hand in them is now making "Star Citizen" So check it out..it looks like what I have always dreamed of...singleplay/multiplay,sandbox,you can own fleet of ships but need friend or they may & I say may implement npc hired to fly them in future but thats not official yet. Join the Navy or just become a pirate/trader or both.They are looking at letting you craft things to sell but thats still not officially decided. If this sounds good go to Roberts Space Industries with a .com....Sorry for no link but wouldn't allow because Although i have followed Wayfarer for a while I am new member on forum & got this message...(New members are not allowed to post external links or emails for 7 days. Please contact the forum administrator for more information.) I have no problem with that because if you like space sim games you can surely find "Star Citizen" & "Squadron 42" Quote from site: “We want to build a huge sandbox … that allows the players to explore in whatever capacity they want.”
thepronto
thepronto

Back to top Go down

Post by Gethory Wed May 15, 2013 12:30 am

Definitely the X series, I just love the fact there's so much to do and that there's such complexity to the games.

Gethory

Back to top Go down

Post by thepronto Sat May 25, 2013 7:55 am

thepronto
thepronto

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrowmatt Sat May 25, 2013 9:19 am

@thepronto Are you a salesman for RSI? lol
Marrowmatt
Marrowmatt

Back to top Go down

Post by thepronto Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:21 pm

Marrowmatt wrote:@thepronto Are you a salesman for RSI? lol

Shocked LOL...Not any more than I am for you guys! Just think they have similar game play and you should check them out! I left suggestion of Wayfarer at this site and he has added to his survival game blog... http://watchsurvival.blogspot.com/ Most are Zombie games but any survival game can be listed. Star Citizen isn't a survival game in that sense but Wayfarer certainly fits the bill! Very Happy Also put link to here in RSI forums! http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/forum/showthread.php?22122-Wayfarer-The-Outer-Reaches Thank you for making a super game! I guess I am a activist for games I think people like myself have wanted to play!!! tongue
thepronto
thepronto

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko en Meeres Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:55 am

woo! go pronto!
Marko en Meeres
Marko en Meeres

http://jattehomo.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrowmatt Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:36 am

Cool, RSI does look amazing, been watching it for some time.
Marrowmatt
Marrowmatt

Back to top Go down

Post by Jclark919 Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:49 am

For me my love of space started a long time ago with all things to come out of the 3000ad studio
3000ad.com/category/press/

also they have a lot of there stuff thats older for free now check them out highly recommend the battlecrusier millennium.
3000ad.com/download/
Jclark919
Jclark919

Back to top Go down

Post by Boggerm Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:34 pm

Guiltily Space Station 13, a complicated rp game. KSP is a close second.

Boggerm

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonJames1975 Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Firstly, hello guys this is my first post on this forum.

I've been a gamer since 1983! so trying to choose a single game from the past 30 years is impossible. I suppose I can put together a short list of the most memorable ones though.

In no particular order:

X-Series
Homeworld Series
KSP
FreeSpace Series
Elite/Frontier: Elite 2
Behind Jaggis Lines/Rescue on Fractalus

(I know I'm forgetting a bunch also)

There's some really interesting indie titles in dev too at the moment. I remember the mid-late 80s as being some what of a golden age in game development. Today's indie devs are giving the old timers a run for their money though. 

Finally, I love the concept behind Wayfarer, I'm particularly excited about the co-op ship crew. I've a mind to buy extra copies for my friends just so I can play at being Malcolm Reynolds.
SimonJames1975
SimonJames1975

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down