Maps and Waypoints

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Maps and Waypoints

Post by 1upking on Wed May 01, 2013 4:13 am

In the ship tour video, I'm assuming the blue orb on that table was "map" of the planet. Could that be used as the central map database for your team? That way everyone can share waypoints (on a minimap when away from the ship) or everyone can sit at the table and get the same view so its easier to map out where an expedition will lead. In open space it would default to a 3D map of the current sector. Then once your ship enters the orbital area (couldn't think of what else to call it) the map defaults to the planet. At anytime, you can access maps of different sectors or planets while in a different planet or sector.
1upking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Maps and Waypoints

Post by Ubercraig on Wed May 01, 2013 12:20 pm

The central sphere is intended to be an access point into the ships mainframe. As you predicted the device can display planetary maps in a 3D perspective amongst other things that we're keeping a secret for now.

As players venture out into environments the map is shrouded by 'Fog of War' until the area has been explored. We want players to actively explore and if we showed you everything on the map as you arrive all the mystery would be gone straight away. Documenting all of a planets locations is defiantly gonna be a task.

Waypoints are used in the form of tracking beacons that can be purchased or crafted and are then placed physically in the world by the players. All of this data is shared between players through their datapads or through the mainframe on board the ship. So everyone is working towards the same goal. If you were to join someone else's game, your map would be sinced to their progress.
Ubercraig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 1upking on Wed May 01, 2013 2:54 pm

I forgot about the exploration aspect of completing the map. My only question is whether our definitions of waypoint is the same. I mean more or less a marker as to where to go, not so much as a secondary spawn or warppoint if that's what you mean by beacon. My thought is that its just a point that when reached disappears. If our definitions are the same, and you still want to have physical beacons placed out like that, is there a way to just show a marker on the ships 3D map to point something out (i.e. "Hey lets work our way over there and see what we can find"). Not so much as a point that carries over to personal datapads, but just to make planning easier. I guess to make things simpler, like using a laser pointer on a projected presentation.
1upking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marko en Meeres on Wed May 01, 2013 3:39 pm

what will the fog of war be like? will it be black or a vague representation of the topography? because it'd be really silly having a completely blacked-out map of a surface you can clearly see from orbit.

though, if the planet/moon had a thick hazy atmosphere i'd understand it being completely dark...
Marko en Meeres

View user profile http://jattehomo.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 1upking on Thu May 02, 2013 1:52 am

Topography like a 2D map? If its in 3D I don't think that would work too well. A vague outline of the solar body would work better. Preferably, in the spirit of exploration, I would like the map to show only what I've seen. So if I haven't been there or seen it yet, it doesn't exist on the map. No fogged out area, no blacked out representation. The outer most reaches you've seen is the edge of the available map. But that's just my opinion.
1upking

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrowmatt on Sun May 05, 2013 2:31 am

I think Craig was referring to the 2D representation of the planet map. The actual planets themselves don't have fog of war.

You will of course be able to see the entire 2D map with only certain information available to you, e.g The land elevation and other blatantly obvious things which are scan-able from orbit.

The fog of war hides the details of the planet, places you've discovered and other things you need to find for yourself.

Craig speaks about 'place-able beacons', these are used to add permanent way-points to your ship's computers that can be tuned into using your ship nav. They can be used to keep a reference of places you'd like to come back to often, but also have other uses. For e.g. If your on a planet that often has extremely low visibility, it's a good idea to place beacons through canyons to mark safe fly areas or even place warning beacons on the top of high elevations etc..

You will of course be able to plot a generic way-point on a map for reference to other players, but it will not contain 3-dimension information.
Marrowmatt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLogan on Mon May 06, 2013 10:57 pm

Will you be able to map the planet by simply flying over it with the ship? Or will you need to land and walk/drive around

TheLogan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrowmatt on Fri May 10, 2013 1:58 am

It's difficult to say because we aren't sure about all the features to do with mapping out planets yet, scouting and the like, I'll guess we'll have to wait and see.
Marrowmatt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Overwatch301 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:03 am

This sounds like an exciting feature, I agree with Marko, in which the map would be filled in with details able to be seen from orbit, but I think just flying over something should not add it too the map. In another of my posts I learned that many of the planets will be hand crafted, have us get out of the ship and enjoy your work, that's what the game is about!
Overwatch301

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top