Wayfarer: The Outer Reaches
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More then a few questions from a really interested person

+2
Jclark919
firerobe
6 posters

Go down

More then a few questions from a really interested person Empty More then a few questions from a really interested person

Post by firerobe Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:00 am

As I was reading through your forums I have come up with a few questions about this brilliant project I have been searching for my whole life if there is a repeat of another question posted before then I apologize

1. Will there be a type of shuttle or fighter to land on the planet with or provide support for the larger ships if you plan to have them (I love carriers I fly one in Star Trek Online would love to see it here)

2. Will there be force fields on the ship for space combat like in star trek or just straight up hull like in halo

3. I have a love for space games in general I love the idea of being a star ship captain and I have always had this daydream of sitting on the bridge watching the navigation charts when a distress signal comes over the com from the squad on the surface informing me the are pin by a heavily fortified position then I look over to a computer type in the command take a look about whats happening on the surface and launch a missile wiping the position off the map this long story leads into this question and the next one will there be a way to do an orbital strike taking care of pesky things on the surface

4. Will there be a way to watch the planet from the ship to monitor a landing position from orbit

5. Will there be physics that will cause damage upon collision such as ramming

6. Will there be drones that you can launch to survey planets for minerals or other tasks

7. Will you be able to fly the ship from inside the cockpit of the ship or will you have to go into third person behind the ship
firerobe
firerobe

Back to top Go down

More then a few questions from a really interested person Empty Re: More then a few questions from a really interested person

Post by Jclark919 Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:47 am

I like this guys thinking!!!!
Jclark919
Jclark919

Back to top Go down

More then a few questions from a really interested person Empty Re: More then a few questions from a really interested person

Post by firerobe Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:50 am

I just found this on the forums I kinda just looked right over it #3 has already been talked about
firerobe
firerobe

Back to top Go down

Post by 1upking Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:48 pm

1. Their idea was to keep people together in the same vehicle. Last watch stores your space ships. Then each space ship could have one of a number of on-planet vehicles.

4. I think to some degree. I had wondered if you could do that with the holo map that's in the dinning room. They didn't really say no soooo....

6. I think there was talk about this(?). I remember something like that for some reason.

7. As far as I can gather, 1 or 2 people (pilot and co-pilot) will pilot the ship, or with auto-pilot (?), while the others can take care of other needs on the ship. No talk about first or third person, but I'm guessing first. 

That's what I can answer from stuff I remember that are hidden in other threads, not directly linked to those ideas.
1upking
1upking

Back to top Go down

Post by Overwatch301 Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:48 am

I think I can fill in a bit 1upking, also welcome to the forums Firerobe, I haven't seen you around but welcome!

1. They talked about how larger ships could have bigger garages and therefore either one larger vehicle or many smaller vehicles

2. Not sure about this one

3. Funny enough I posted a topic asking about this (orbital drop pods and strikes) and it was determined it will not be in the game because it would be very very overpowered for a survival game and would split the team up.

4. I am going to interpret your question as, can I pilot the ship down to the ground by myself (sorry if I'm wrong), and to that I say yes, this game will support seamless landing on a planet done by a player, but there has been talk of a Cortana esc AI that could do many things for you, landing could be one of them but that is still a very new idea.

5. The game will have physics don't worry, you wont be able to move your ship by standing behind it and pushing Very Happy, but in all seriousness, this game will not follow a Newtonian form of physics simulation which falls under the category that you are describing, they are taking bits and pieces from Newtonian, but thing like inertia dampening systems will have no place as that will not the calculated. In short the game will be following a more arcady form of physics, they did talk about a tiny bit how colliding with something could hurt your ship (correct me if I am remembering wrong), so you could I guess ram somebody but it would do more harm then good.

6. They have 100% confirmed a mining drone that could mine in orbit while you do things on the planet itself, as for other drones, that AI I talked about earlier might be able to control vehicles, but that is still unconfirmed.

7. Prob no 3rd person, as the ability to walk around the ship kind of lends itself to only 1st person, however, the prototype mini game that they released can go into 3rd person mode, which might hint that that could be in the full game, so in conclusion, nobody knows yet

Hope that helped you out!
Overwatch301
Overwatch301

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikipedia Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:14 am

I think there have been some talk about force fields (correct me if i'm wrong), like managing it, ALL POWER TO FRONT SHIELDS!! type of thing.
Wikipedia
Wikipedia

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrowmatt Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:26 am

Most of the information here is absolutely correct.

Some things to further add...

In terms of seamless transition, due to the engine we're using, it's not capable of rendering the entire solar system and more continuously without some ridiculously clever CIA/KGB programming. It's more of a trickery thing if anything, as you approach the planet and enter it's atmosphere, heat and flames will completely distort your view, enabling us to hopefully UNLOAD and LOAD particulars depending on where you are and where your going.....hopefully with minimal performance hit that won't be noticeable.

We can't give you an ENTIRE planet surface to explore, it'd be empty...to decorate an entire planet yet alone the currently planned 10 (approx) would be impossible, you can still explore a very large area on each planet though don't ask me the Km2, I can't confirm it yet!

So anyway...

1. I don't think so......probably not....no. There are posts all over the show addressing shuttles, they're really easy to find, most of them explain why it's either a irrelevant or bad mechanic.

2. Yes you ship has shields and you can manage a lot of how they function and perform.

3. No orbital strikes, your ship wouldn't make a dent on a planet. I think people may be thinking they're going to piloting a star destroyer or an enterprise...think more ebon hawk size or the ship from Prometheus at the most.

4. I'm not sure about the question...you can review the planet before you go down using the ships system, but you'll need to explore it to reveal particulars.

5. Yes indeed, crashing your ship causes damage to your hull. Damage is based off impact velocity.

6. You can deploy your mining mechanoid in space to locate and gather materials (you can leave the system without him though) or you can deploy him once your on the ground to follow you and carry things or send him off to locate and gather materials/mine/whatever. You can upgrade his defensive capabilities to fend of those thieving pirate bas-t@rds.

7. Yes you mainly fly it in first person. I know it's hard to land in first person in terms of positioning, so we're conveniently placing guide strips and centre markers on all landing pads  which you can view from the ships external camera, which looks directly down from the bottom of your ship, so you line up with the cross and descend you should land in the middle of the pad. There is still a third person view but it's solely for looking at your ship or...taking cool screens and stuff, you can still move around but you need to switch back to 1st person to press buttons and stuff...not everything requires you to push buttons though...for example, things you will be doing allot will be mapped to a key or controller button, to prevent frustration, things that happen not so often you need to manually do....arm missiles, landing gear, shields to front etc, etc. Your co-pilot/navigator has access to everything the pilot does. At the moment i'm toying with the idea of 'handing over the controls' to your co-pilot incase the pilot needs to urgently do something...like have a poo, like airline pilots.

I hope this is thorough enough
Marrowmatt
Marrowmatt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down