Wayfarer: The Outer Reaches
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flight simming controls?

3 posters

Go down

Flight simming controls? Empty Flight simming controls?

Post by White Owl Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:21 pm

I'm a flight simmer, and own a collection of peripherals that make flight simming more enjoyable. So...

How likely is it that WTOR will support fun toys like joysticks, rudder pedals, TrackIR or other head tracking?
White Owl
White Owl

Back to top Go down

Flight simming controls? Empty Re: Flight simming controls?

Post by Marrowmatt Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:12 am

I too am a lover of flight simulators, in fact, flight simulator 98 was officially my first PC game. My dad's a pilot and always bought the latest versions.

At the moment I'm currently developing the control system for both keyboard/mouse and XBOX 360 controller.

Allot of the movement in the game works of predefined axis labels such as 'Horizontal' and 'Vertical'. This means that any controller that inputs the horizontal movement to the 'horizontal' inputs should technically work. Including other axis.

Alas not every Joystick is the same. Button 1 on your joystick may be Button 3 or 5 on someone else make and model. We're planning on leaving the initial controller configuration window open for you to change how you please so you should be able to map your buttons to do whatever you like. I will try and test with Joystick as much as I can for flight controls.

As for rudder pedals...Probably the same thing, I have no idea what axis inputs they work off but you could always try inputting them in the configuration window and seeing if they work.

TrackIR....hmm, I think there is a plugin for TrackIR for unity, but I'm not sure if it's stable or not. When I get to coding the ships more intimately (cockpit controls and such) I could look into this. We'd need to buy all the gear to test it, which we don't have at the moment.
Marrowmatt
Marrowmatt

Back to top Go down

Post by White Owl Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:58 am

Cool! I understand this stuff is relatively low priority since it isn't necessary to play the game, but your response is encouraging.
White Owl
White Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLogan Mon May 06, 2013 11:00 pm

For Joystick unity's input manager actually as standard is already set up with alternative controls for vertical and horizontal and some buttons.

Another cool addition when it gets so far would be the Occulus Rift, Unity has announced that they will support it.

TheLogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down