Wayfarer: The Outer Reaches
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What I'm Looking Forward Too !

+14
Overwatch301
Vexxtal
Vaurek
EarnestLine2810
bbq1040
Combine
Marrowmatt
TheLogan
Lilist
White Owl
Wikipedia
Landy
Marko en Meeres
Bayliun
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What I'm Looking Forward Too ! Empty What I'm Looking Forward Too !

Post by Bayliun Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:18 am

Hey guys Alex here and personally i can't wait for us to finish this game and am probably just as excited as you lot are to play it. I'm looking forward to the complete freedom in W:TOR, the ability to head off in any direction at any given time without the game pushing and pulling me in a direct/linear path. I can't wait to get into a dog fight in the middle of space with all my friends on board, Matt flying the ship, me and tom fending off the pirates with the turrets whilst craig runs about the ship making repairs.

What are you guys looking forward too ?
Bayliun
Bayliun

Back to top Go down

What I'm Looking Forward Too ! Empty Re: What I'm Looking Forward Too !

Post by Marko en Meeres Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:29 am

a co-op multiplayer space sandbox game? where do i even start?? space-themed sandbox games have always enticed me, and the prospect of sharing that experience with my friends is just amazing. i'm immensely curious about how the game is going to turn out, and i wish you all the best of luck completing it. i think it has great potential and i intend to donate MAD BUX (well, what i can afford) to the cause when i can.

cheers~
Marko en Meeres
Marko en Meeres

http://jattehomo.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bayliun Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:34 am

haha "MAD BUX" Very Happy rest assured there will be some awesome Kickstarter incentives and gear for you to get your paws on when the campaign is launched Smile and oh yesss flying around the galaxy with my friends in tow is going to be So Sick !
Bayliun
Bayliun

Back to top Go down

Post by Landy Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:08 pm

Awesome, you guys finally got a forum up and running! Smile

After watching the first vlog when you guys were walking around the ship, I could just imagine myself standing inside one of the rooms, working with something at a workbench, looking outside with a view towards the planet while our captain were landing the ship.

The fact that you guys are working on a game were you can ACTUALLY DO THAT, is just awesome! I simply cannot wait to see what more awesomeness you guys got in store for us. As always, keep up the good work!
Landy
Landy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wikipedia Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:38 pm

I'm lost for words, this is the game i have been waiting for since.. always. It's such a unique project and i will definitely back it up when the kickstarter begins.
Looking forwards to it.
Wikipedia
Wikipedia

Back to top Go down

Post by White Owl Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:36 pm

It's that whole Millenium Falcon / Serenity experience. Anything I ever saw happen around those ships - both inside and out - I want to be possible in the game.
White Owl
White Owl

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilist Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:48 am

The feature I've been most excited/impressed about so far has been the ability to drive the land vehicle straight into and out of the hangar. I don't know why but I just find that sooooo cool! Razz
Lilist
Lilist

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLogan Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:11 am

Lilist wrote:The feature I've been most excited/impressed about so far has been the ability to drive the land vehicle straight into and out of the hangar. I don't know why but I just find that sooooo cool! Razz

I completly agree with this, one of the first things I did when I started learning unity and programming was create a sort of hangar ship with smaller vtol fighters inside it. being able to grab a fighter, fly around with it, land it again inside the carrier and then run off to the cockpit and fly the whole carrier around.
Sadly I never really did anything with it and the project is lost, but there really was something cool about the whole vehicles in vehicles thing.
(especially the first tests where I'd be dropping fighters all over the place due to lack of artificial gravity xD )

TheLogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrowmatt Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:51 am

Artificial gravity was my biggest struggle when I was creating the code for our very first prototype. After endless hours of shouting and loosing my cool I finally cracked it, not easy!
Marrowmatt
Marrowmatt

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLogan Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:00 pm

No I can imagine!
I must admit that I'd do it very differently now than then, back then I just parented the player to the carrier when entering and the same with fighters and set fighters to static when I exited them.
Which sometimes resulted in fighters just strangely hanging in the air, and other oddities, heh.
The player is moved using transform rather than physics, so he could move around the carrier regardless of what way outside was turning.

How did you do it here?

TheLogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrowmatt Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:25 pm

I used a combination of physics and code movement, but I can't give away all our secrets =P
Marrowmatt
Marrowmatt

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLogan Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:55 am

Combining the two can be dangerous and give odd and or erratic behaviour, depending on how it's done (just a friendly word of warning =) ).
And yea, fair enough.

TheLogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrowmatt Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:50 am

The way they intertwine has nothing to do with the movement, so there's no risk of weird behavior and movement is consistent. *Thumbs Up*
Marrowmatt
Marrowmatt

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLogan Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:52 am

Excellent! =D

TheLogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Combine Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:01 am

Type of game i have been waiting for, will get some friends and have some crazy adventures while being on teamspeak or skype will make it more fun

Combine

Back to top Go down

Post by bbq1040 Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:45 am

All I could think of was minecraft in space with killer graphics. In that regard, keep in mind that graphics are nice but a million people play minecraft and it uses 8 bit graphics. I'm not saying to skimp on beauty, but there's a lot to be said for content.

If the core of the gameplay is going to revolve around ships there needs to be a lot of custom-ability for the ships. I understand that there needs to be some sort of framework to build on for ships, but I don't want the game to have that sense of straight progression where you go from a small ship to the next biggest one, etc. I'd rather have all kinds of ships that you can mix and match depending on how you want to play. Like in miecraft you can build any number of different houses, etc, you should be able to build lots of transportation in this game.

My last thought is about world generation. This will come through trial and error but there needs to be a world generator that makes each new world different from the last but doesn't eat up time from you guys to hand make each one.

I didn't want to draw direct comparisons with minecraft but if you say sandbox that's what comes up. I'm also usually against new game developers basing things on other games, but a space minecraft with better graphics hasn't been done yet. In the same regard you don't have to reinvent the wheel with every system. Take things that work and then make them your own once it's implemented. I have many more thoughts but I'll save them until more specific threads pop up.

Until then good luck with everything! I'll be keeping an eye on the development. This should be good.

bbq1040

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilist Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:46 pm

bbq1040 wrote:All I could think of was minecraft in space with killer graphics. -snip-
I didn't want to draw direct comparisons with minecraft but if you say sandbox that's what comes up. I'm also usually against new game developers basing things on other games, but a space minecraft with better graphics hasn't been done yet. -snip-

I disagree to a certain extent. There are a couple of space type minecraft games being developed out there at the moment e.g. scrumbleship and blockade runner. I think the point of this game is to go beyond in terms of gameplay rather than creativity. I imagine that due to the whole way block based games work it would be hard to get the level of vehicle movement this game is promising (being able to drive in and out of the ship with a car etc.)

I'm looking forward to more of an action-packed adventure rather than a creative experience.
Lilist
Lilist

Back to top Go down

Post by Marrowmatt Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:46 am

Lilist is on the right track. We're not making a game based on creativity, and that was never promised. If your looking for a HD space minecraft game you won't find it in Wayfarer.

Wayfarer is about journeying with your friends (or solo) Razz and making choices and decisions that are critical to your survival. It's the thrill of gearing up your ship and your crew as you head further into more dangerous situations where you barely come out alive...
Marrowmatt
Marrowmatt

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLogan Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:55 am

Sigh.. I wish we had true virtual reality and a game like this.
Sure, for cockpit control you can make do with an Oculus and leap motion. But full body true VR would be fucking kickass ^_^

TheLogan

Back to top Go down

Post by EarnestLine2810 Tue May 07, 2013 11:38 am

I hope that the multiplayer aspect of the game will support multiple ships and crews. But no set teams or rules. It would add a certain wild west motif ;P that would spice things up.

EarnestLine2810

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaurek Fri May 10, 2013 7:50 am

I think I'm just wanting to explore new sights either alone or with my friends. We're all big Star Trek, Star Wars, Serenity (pretty much you name it really) and we have until now had to mod games to get the same feel as Wayfarer generates in it's premise.

I've always been partial to nebula's since Freelancer. Gotta love those, the idea of your instruments not being accurate in there and the light and shadows playing across the hull as you go through the gas clouds and maybe find something, or some one is very much what I want in a space game.

Vaurek

Back to top Go down

Post by Vexxtal Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:34 am

I'm really looking forward to the open elements of the game. From what I have read it seems you will be able to do pretty much anything within reason and the idea of being able to go adventuring or do missions or even just go exploring at my own discretion is awesome. Its that idea and feel of openness that has drawn me to a number of games and I'm looking forward to this more then any before as it combines so many great concepts.
Vexxtal
Vexxtal

Back to top Go down

Post by Overwatch301 Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:32 pm

I've always loved every game that uses the buzzwords exploration, combat, open world, and especially coop. Add "oh and its in space btw" to the mix and I can see some pretty awesome stuff going down with my friends and I in that ship.
Overwatch301
Overwatch301

Back to top Go down

Post by Overwatch301 Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:35 pm

Sorry a bit off topic but TheLogan, I see you've mentioned full body VR, not sure if this is what you meant but it is still very cool: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game

I would love to use this in certain times in wayfarer such as walking around the planet and around the ship, just adds to the intensity.
Overwatch301
Overwatch301

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLogan Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:34 pm

Overwatch301 Nah, I mean like the matrix VR.
That said Omni looks a little clumsy but still quite cool.

TheLogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum